What does it take to stand out and become a “Top Lawyer” in your specific field of law? Ben Ari hosts the series’ “5 Things You Need To Become A Top Lawyer In Your Specific Field of Law,” where he interviews lawyers who excel and stand out in their industry. As a part of this series, EPGR’s very own trial lawyer Jesse K. Bolling was recently interviewed to share his expertise. According to Boling, here are the five main things you need to do to become a top lawyer:
- Be a professional. If you want to succeed as a civil trial lawyer, realize that you are joining a profession. It is not a normal 9–5 job. You must be ready to perform anytime your client needs you.
- Read the news. Clients want a lawyer that is sharp. Know current events and what is happening in the world. It is an odd thing, but clients expect their lawyer to know “everything.” Try to be that person by keeping up on the news.
- Learn to read a financial statement. If you want to try business cases, you need to understand your clients’ financial situation. Many lawyers leave that to the accountants. It is invaluable if you can do it yourself.
- Have a heart. Don’t judge your clients, even if they have done something you do not necessarily agree with. It’s not our job to judge; it’s our job to advocate.
- Set aside me time. This job can be all-encompassing. Make sure to set aside time for yourself, where you put your cell phone and email away. The earlier you start practicing this, the better.
To read the full article, click here